Akwos is a organization that was set up to remove stereotypes that held woman back from enjoying sports. In the aftermath of the genocide and deep cultural belief that only men should be involved in sports, female football was introduced by Akwos to encourage women to participate in order to break the cultural barrier, alleviate loneliness and depression. The organization later on grew to include other
sports as a tool for women empowerment. 20 years down the road Akwos has been used as a unique platform for social change to address issues like unity and reconciliation, gender equality, GBV, HIV and women economic empowerment.
Todate Akwos has been sponsored by international reputable organizations who believe that women should not be held back from anything.
AKWOS Mission is: “To Empower East-African Women, starting from Rwanda, through Sports and Education”. By doing so, AKWOS will contribute to the alleviation of poverty , HIV/AIDS prevention and improving the well-being of women and girls in East-Africa, and in the Rwandan society in particular.
In pursuing this mission, AKWOS adopted the following specific objectives:
- To promote Women’s sports in Rwanda and in the Region;
- To raise Women’s awareness of sports activities;
- To assist Rwandan Women in the promotion of their rights;
- To assist Rwandan women in the creation of a forum for integration and Reconciliation through sports;
- To promote awareness and education among Rwandan Women about HIV/AIDS, Unity and Reconciliation, Women Rights, Gender-Based Violence , Peace and Security, Social and Economic Rights ;
- To provide a meeting ground inclusive of women from different classes, Educational and Ethnic backgrounds;
- To use sports as a tool to heal the trauma caused by the 1994 Rwanda Genocide;
- To monitor and evaluate Women project activities.
- Promote women soccer in Rwanda and in the region.
- Draw the women’s attention to sport activities
- Assist Rwandan women promote their rights and self-confidence
- Promote awareness among Rwandan women about the dangers of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic
- Create through women sports a forum for integration and reconciliation
- Provide a meeting point between the elite and uneducated women for exchange of ideas